Thursday, January 23, 2020

Lost Respect for Republicans

I’ve had Republican friends my entire adult life. We disagree about the country we want America to be, but there were usually areas of overlap. As a moderate liberal, I even agreed with the need to keep the national deficit as low as possible even it meant reducing some entitlement programs (ironically the GOP is now the culprit for a ballooning national deficit and don’t seem to mind at all). But in any event, I always respected their right to their opinion. 

Unfortunately, Trump has facilitated many of the dormant desires of conservatives to come to light. Mocking global warming and now using the EPA to roll back regulations that keep our air and water clean are just a few. It’s clear it’s more important to the GOP to allow a few corporations and real estate developers make more money than keep our planet safe for humans. 

Some of my Republican friends may not want the EPA regulations on clean air and water to be rolled back, but if they vote for Republican candidates, they are choosing to allow those policies. They have become my enemy in a war of what America is to become. I want an America that treats the planet and its people with respect, and doesn’t let greedy businesses take priority.

I cannot respect anyone who puts profit before health and compassion for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment